Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Uniquely True

There is something incredibly unique about the true gospel of Christ. Whether it be messages from prophets of old, modern day prophets, voices from members, notes from yourself, conversations, places you visit, etc. there can always be a different, meaningful impact on each individual during each phase in life. I have been blessed to be born in the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, the only complete true church on this Earth. I don't know when exactly I gained a solid testimony, or when I learned to absolutely love the gospel and everything within; but I know I've had a very concrete testimony for a very, very long time.
One of the things that I get most excited about is my music. My music is unlike anyone else's. The vast majority of what is on my music library is produced by LDS artists. Whether it be Beautiful Life by Mercy River, More than Enough by Cherie Call, He Loves Me by Hilary Weeks, or so, so many more, there can be a different meaning at each crossroad you go through. One of the coolest experiences I had with my music was when I taught a lesson in Relief Society on the talk Spiritual Eclipse by Elder Stevenson. I played the song Somebody Else's Shoes (yet for me to put on youtube) by Cherie Call, then I asked what people got from the song and how it applied to a spiritual eclipse. The responses I got were incredible!! They were so different yet so applicable!! Some people picked up certain lines that other people completely missed, while other pieces prompted someone to change something in their lives, it was amazing!! I too, have experienced crazy new applications to songs I've been listening to for more than 10 years!
One of the my greatest blessings is my ability to follow in faith. There was a talk in October 2007 General Conference that has changed my life multiple times over because of this ability. This talk is called O Remember, Remember by President Eyring. When he gave this talk, something spoke to me saying "Shannon, you have to start a Tender Mercies journal, today!" So I did just that. It blessed my life a lot going through the trials of junior high and high school to remember that I was still being cared for, watched over, protected or comforted. And after the accident it has quite literally saved my life. During some of the most challenging times in the psychiatric unit, my mom made a copy of some of the entries and gave them to me. As I was reading them, I was reminded of those things I learned as a young teenager and that Heavenly Father really just might have a plan for this broken body of mine.
I know that my Savior lives. I know that He loves me as much as He loves you (even though I don't often feel that way). I testify of His reality, of His eternal sacrifice, and His matchless love. 

1 comment:

  1. Shannon, I just saw this today. You are so amazing! Thank you for sharing your beautiful testimony in this post. And for using your incredible faith to sustain you in all you've been through and continue to find challenging. You are an inspiration to your Aunt Pat. I love you.

    ReplyDelete