Friday, April 3, 2020

Welcome to a Bit of my World

Hello coronavirus, you're new. (I don't have COVID19) Hey there social isolation, you're an old friend of mine. What's up anxiety? How does it feel to infect the globe? Irritability is on our backs big time. Oh depression, lack of motivation, don't worry I didn't forget about you, I'm just super apathetic. But none of this is new to me, nor any of my fellow survivors. This is new to the rest of the entire world though. So, putting my frustration aside, let me help you out by teaching you things that I know to do during times of social isolation. 
First of all, please remember all of the times that you say, "I'd do that if I only had more time." Write down those things; make a list and start doing them - one by one. Keep your regular routine, get up at the same time, get ready as if you were going to work/school, do something off of this checklist, go to bed at the same time each night. Give yourself a few "relax" days, but science says that keeping routine is very important to overall health. 
In fact, being overwhelmed with stress, anxiety, boredom, etc is not only bad for your mental health but it has significant decrease on your physical health. "Why are you telling us this Shannon? You're only freaking me out even more!!" Don't worry, I'm here to help. This COVID crisis should not add to the mental health needs, it should make us into the kind of people that we say we would be if we had more time for ourselves. (Ironic how we dread what we've always wished for?) We should all become better, stronger, smarter, more compassionate, more organized, etc people. We have the time, we don't have excuses. As we reflect on ourselves, make ourselves better people, we will come out on top and make the whole world a better place! 
Now, let me help give you some ideas how to do that. I'm going to address the 5 different pieces of a person; physical, cognitive, mental/emotional, social and spiritual. So starting with physical, there are a few things that you can do to take care of yourself during this time of high stress. Most important is like I said above, (because it not only affects physical) is going to bed, getting dressed, and going to sleep at the same time. Our bodies love routine and our circadian rhythm (sleep cycle) gets messed up without it. Additionally, many of you may have trouble sleeping because you're moving a lot less than you used to. You need to be exercising. I know that gyms are closed, but this might even be better anyway. Change up the way you exercise. Try to increase your flexibility and do some intense heart rate increase movements for a short period of time. You'll be surprised at the results if you keep it up.(I won't go into all of the research I've done on this here). Finally, make some more things from scratch. Yeah, we may not have as much access to local foods, but I bet you have a bunch of flour, sugar, and access to the internet where you could find some recipes. :) 
When you work on your cognitive self, you're going to be building your brain! It's so exciting! First tip I have for you is to find brain games on your tablet or computer and play those. Or engage yourself in a class you've always wanted to take, even if you don't take it for credit, look up information on youtube, or do some of your own research! Next tip I have is to use your hands (or whole body); build legos, fingerpaint, draw, learn a new hobby, craft, dance, do a puzzle, learn sign language, make jewelry, drum, find different ways you can wash your hands, write with your non-dominant hand, etc. Pinterest is great for all of these things. Learn how to play an instrument, or if you know how, get better. Music is (ironically) instrumental in the building blocks of the brain. Learning music is far better, but listening to a different type of music is always good too. Let me recommend some of my favorites, especially because it will help your spiritual self as well: Afa, Alex Boye, Blake Gillete, Calee Reed, Carmen Rasmusen, Cheri Magill, Cherie Call, Dan Cahoon, David Archuleta, David Barrus, Eclipse 6, Especially for Youth, Hilary Weeks, Janice Kapp Perry, Jeff Goodrich, Jeff McLean, Jenny Jordan Frogley, Jenny Phillips, Jericho Road, Kirby Heyborne, Laura Story, Lauren Daigle, Madilyn Paige, Mercy River, Nichole Nordeman, One Clear Voice, The Piano Guys, Rachel Thibodeau, Ryan Shupe and the Rubberband, Stephanie Smith, Vocal Point, or I've also been into Kelsea Ballerini a lot lately. 
As if I haven't given you enough already, oh I've got plenty more. You may be going mentally crazy being cooped up all day in a crazy house where you can't escape. So, clean and organize your crazy house. Believe it or not, it will actually help your brain organize, calm and relax itself. Oh, but you have so many crazy kids running around, right? Make a game out of it! It will actually help them too. Do all of the things you always claim you never have the time to do, most of you don't have that excuse anymore. If your new excuse is that everything is closed, DIY how to make things yourself. Once again, keep that routine and finally, take time out of your day to write in a journal. This might be especially hard because you are going to need to open up about everything. Okay, you don't need to, but you should. You should write about all of your fears, anxieties, everything that makes you sad, etc. Then ask if it's true, if you can absolutely know if it is true or if the absolute opposite could be true. It is called self reflection, it is a very healing process that we should all be doing way more often. I know what I'm talking about. 
For the times that you need to just relax, watch the TV show Psych!! If you need more recommendations, I've got some, but Psych is required. You can find it on Amazon Prime. Don't forget to laugh a lot, laughter is the best medicine there is believe it or not. If you need help, try Brian Regan. He can be found on Netflix, youtube or BrianRegan.com. 
My absolute (NOT) favorite characteristic of self is social. While social isolation looks very different for the world than it has for me, I still have advice. Please remember, as always, to "never let a problem to be solved become more important than a person to be loved." (Monson) So reach out. Reach out to those people that you never talk to or never see. Sure, in person is better, but they may very well think you don't care about them at all if you don't talk to them while you complain about being so bored with no one to talk to.... Spend QUALITY time with the people you are quarantined with. You can totally make all of these suggestions work at the same time! Try new things, obstacle courses, wrestle, cleaning races, etc. Find ways to serve people without leaving home. Do family history work, write thank you notes, make someone's bed, do the dishes, make cards for family who lives away.
Finally, spiritual; I don't care if you're religious or not, everyone has a spiritual side, the inner part of themselves that only they know. My music as listed above is great, journaling is super powerful. Reading scriptures and listening to General Conference talks (which starts tomorrow!!!) are amazing. But do not stop there. Look at everyday and ask yourself, "what am I grateful for today?" Amidst all of this chaos, I promise the Lord is still in everyone of your lives, every single day. Start a Tender Mercies Journal and I promise, your life will change for the better. You will become a happier, more positive person, even as life gets worse. 
I am not giving anyone excuses to not become better people. The coronavirus is a blessing in disguise. I pray for those who are affected and cannot fathom the pain of those and loved ones going through it. This well traveled road for me is new territory for many of you so I've chosen to rise above the irritation, frustration and share some of the things that you can do.


1 comment: