Saturday, May 4, 2013

Surgery one last time!!!!

This is Shannon's dad.  Shannon asked me to make a quick post to let you know what has transpired in the past few days.  In preparation for what we hope and anticipate will be her final surgery, Bishop Wellman and Bishop Wood came over on Wednesday and gave her a blessing.  This really helped reduce her anxieties associated with the surgery and had her ready to go.  I got back in town from a business trip to California Thursday night, and yesterday, May 3, 2013, Pheobe, Shannon and I woke up early and travelled once again to Primary Children's Medical Center for an early morning surgical appointment with Dr. Siddiqi and Dr. Riva-Cambrin, who were doing Shannon's cranial reconstructive surgery.  The surgery involved removing the plates and screws from the last time, and also removing the tissue expanders that had been inserted about 5 weeks ago, and then inserting three synthetic plates over her existing bone to fill in where the bone had resorbed following the earlier surgeries.  Dr. Siddiqi also cut out the scar tissue from the previous surgeries so that he had fresh tissue to stitch together at the end of the procedure.   This was a bit of a pioneering effort for the doctors.  They had done these implants before but never over such a large area.  A 3D rendering had been made of her skull via a CT Scan which allowed the plate manufacturer to follow the irregular contours of her skull on the underside of the plates so that they would fit perfectly.  Dr. Siddiqi gave us a model of the skull and the plates that was really fascinating to see.

The 6-hour surgery went really well.  Shannon's vital signs remained strong throughout and the surgical team did an outstanding job.  Following the surgery she was sent to the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) for the night.  Doctors just made their rounds this morning and are really pleased with her progress.  So we are in the process of moving to the "floor" (probably in the Neuro Trauma Unit) for the duration of her hospital stay.  She has a big turban wrapped around her head to help reduce the swelling and she has a drain in the back of her head to suction off excess fluid from the surgery.  Those will likely be removed tomorrow.  For now the name of the game is pain management and swelling control.  And she is doing well with both.

Thanks for your continued support and prayers.


  1. Shannon! This is your old speech therapist Maren. I check your blog every once in a while (usually after I hear or think of a Brian Regan joke because I think of you!) Also the other day I found my t-shirt that we tie-dyed at your house. Do you remember that? Anyway, I'm glad I checked your blog tonight and saw that your surgery went well. I hope you continue to have a smooth recovery. You are strong and Shannon you are such a fighter!!! Sending prayers your way.

    In reference to your previous post-- forgive me for not commenting more as I usually check blogs on my phone and it drives me crazy to try to type comments using my tiny keyboard on my phone, I'm just not that talented. (Tonight I'm actually at the computer keyboard for once!)