Wednesday, April 11, 2018

For Reals. Finally.

      The time has arrived. I will finally have my associates' degree in 3 weeks. It is not much, especially for a straight A, top of the class, over achiever who graduated high school in 2011. But, as much as I don't believe it, it is remarkable for someone with a traumatic brain injury alone; despite the fact that mine was both a diffuse axonal injury and a subarachnoid hemorrhage; the intricate details that I received the lowest possible score on the Glasgow Coma Scale, and was on life support for 2 weeks while medical professionals asked why. It is remarkable that when all the doctors told me not to go back to school, I did; I went back to graduate with my class, still taking 3 AP classes. And I got another very invasive surgery shortly thereafter and tried to go straight to college. When that didn't quite work, I didn't give up though. I kept trying at school for years until I am at the point now where I finally have a degree. And yes, it may be a small, seemingly worthless degree, but given my history, it is a symbol of strength. It is proof that I have determination, I have drive, vigor and a love to further myself, no matter the difficulties. The social view of an associates' degree gets me down, and discouraged all too often. I need to remember everything that I've been through and the fact that I understand all of the medical terms I have described above and so many more is in fact, remarkable. The unfortunate thing is that I can't see myself in terms of yesterday, today, and tomorrow, nor can I see myself in terms of eternity, I can only see myself in terms of "lasterday" (before the accident). So I cannot see how far I've come, I cannot see how much I've grown, I still can only see how much I've lost. This is not something that I can just fix or change, this is physical damage that occurred during my injury - and neurons do not regenerate.
     After I have finished school however, then I will be going on to a completely different track. This is something I introduced a number of months back. I will finally be traveling to the Philippines. My dad and I will leave on the 3rd of May and travel for a LONG time before we finally arrive in Manilla. We will visit 3 different islands in the Philippines, but stay mainly on Negros, where my grandparents made great friends with people who give great services to other Filipinos. While on Negros, we will be staying in the city of Bacolod, visiting with Ben Candari and the Livelihood Assistance Foundation (of Philippines) as well as Ritchie Olivares with the Home of Hope (orphanage for abused, abandoned, and homeless children). This is where most of the donations will go, as Ritchie has asked for much help. However, there is still much need for donations, which could be made either directly, through gofundme (https://www.gofundme.com/myworldtoyours) or something like the following: write your testimony, draw a picture, have your kids or kids in your classes do those things, etc. Don't feel any pressure though, especially at this time of year, I of all people understand that other things take primary focus. I am so excited to serve my brothers and sisters of all ages around the globe for about 2 weeks in less than a month! My love reaches out to every nation, and I'm thrilled to see it in action!

7 comments:

  1. These moments of clarity don't come very often for you. But when they come , it's yet another miracle in your life. Dad and I have watched you struggle and fight every day since your accident. We know how hard it has been and still is to use that determination to fight thru the recovery process that many don't see because you are still recovering. Those who have followed you see that hero within! Shannon, we are so proud of you. It's more than just bring proud of you. We are so grateful and humbled to see your faith in action. We are so grateful to see beyond the TBI and know who you really are. Way to fight against all odds and what anybody else said including doctors and prove to all that you are a walking testament of the miraculous power of our Savior, Jesus Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shannon, I love reading your posts! You write so well, and I appreciate how you share your heart with us. I'm so excited about your degree--which is not worthless, by the way. And I agree that it represents your strength of character, your incredible determination and drive, and especially your commitment to yourself, regardless of the struggle. I celebrate this accomplishment and all that it represents in your unique journey. Please remember what an inspiration you are to me and so many! I am awed by your continued faith and hope--and let me include your capacity for charity, as manifested by your putting together this trip to the Philippines. What a privilege for you--and those you will serve. You ARE a miracle, Shannon, and I am so grateful to be your aunt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shannon, I salute your heroic drive to grow and defy the odds. Like a soldier returning from battle, you are proving that with faith nothing is impossible. Your light will shine in the Philippines and will serve to remind you that real joy is found in the hope you give others. Proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are one amazing young woman. Really!! Scriptures say, "out of small and simple things are great things brought to pass". I keep wondering what great things are coming your way because you had the courage, stamina and yes faith to wait on the Lord. You are such an example to all who know you and will yet get to meet you. We love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shannon,
    Congrats on your wonderful accomplishments! Your degree, your long-suffering, your patience, your fortitude, your strength, your faith, your love. You are growing in ways that are immeasurable and those are the most important and the most useful. Thanks for your positive example! Much love and best wishes for an incredible trip!
    Love,
    Stefanie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shan,
    Congratulations! We are so proud of you. You truly are my greatest example of perseverance and fortitude. Most people would crumble after all you've been through, yet you still fight on with undaunting faith and resilience. You are a survivor, a fighter. And your associate's degree symbolizes those characteristics infinitely more than it symbolizes the knowledge you've accumulated. Outstanding job and well deserved!
    I'm also very excited for you to visit and serve the people in the Philippines. You will touch so many people's lives with your innate kindness and love. I pray that you will find immense joy in your serve to them. Can't wait to hear about it when you get back.
    Aaron

    ReplyDelete
  7. So Amazing!! So Exciting!! So INSPIRING!!!
    Love you, Shan!!
    Aunt Laurel

    ReplyDelete