Tuesday, January 22, 2019

How Old Am I Really?

Life is a beast, am I right? Well it's worse when you have an injured brain that cannot accept that anything has happened to it. (And when you are going through 1 pneumonia 2 sinus infection 3 medicine changes 4 lack of sleep 5 extreme fatigue 6 extreme lack of motivation 7 nutritional changes 8 increased abandonment stuff 9 new series of PTSD 10 so many things that I have to deal with my car 11 and insurance 12 vision homework 13 chiropractic homework 14 physical therapy homework 15 terrible self-perception yet nothing I can do about it 16 perfectionist me 17 learning -so hard- 18 new changes in gospel things 19 changes in my parents house 20 the need to get a new hobby 21 the constant battle between Shannon and TBI) Those are all just things going on right now. 
As for the purpose of this post. How old am I? Well you see, that's a very interesting question. 
My parents always say to measure age in miles not years. If that's the answer you're looking for, I'm probably 153. (Idk, random number, but OLD.) 
If you are asking my biological, chronological, since the time I came onto the Earth age, well that's 25. But do I feel it in any way shape or form? 
If you are asking where I am "supposed to be" developmentally, medically, etc. that's a completely separate question. The answer to that would be 8.
If you are asking where I am physically, well I reckon that would be closer to 100 - 8. (92)
How about mentally, cognitively? Oh gosh, I have no idea. I have a college degree, but I struggle to remember what I had for breakfast this morning let alone what I learned in my Chemistry class last semester! 
What about socially or emotionally? Well, I think those are two different things. But socially, probably 8, but everyone thinks I'm 25, which is extremely unfortunate. Emotionally, probably 100 - 8, so 92. 
If you are asking how old I feel? Where my brain thinks I am? That is 16 and may forever stay there. It definitely has since the accident. (Okay, okay, sometimes I feel closer to 17, but I was 16 1/2 when I got in the accident!) I think that my brain cannot move past the age that I was at that time. 
Overall, it is very confusing and very, very conflicting. Everyone who sees me thinks I'm a normal 18-25 year old. Guess what? I'm anything but! I can't even decide how old I am! 

No comments:

Post a Comment