Friday, January 11, 2019

New Year, New Understanding of Me

Over the last month, I've had the opportunity to do a lot of self-reflecting. I have also talked to a number of different people with different specifications, learned more about my favorite subject - the brain, and come to a number of conclusions. So many of them I feel I need to write about because it is very important to the TBI population. One verdict that I've had to come to accept is that I can get them done because I'm Shannon, but it will have to be on a completely skewed (and stupid) timetable because I have a traumatic brain injury, and those who love me can accept that. So I hope that you can deal with the lengthy explanation of this last month as I struggle with all of my daily challenges. 
I think the biggest resolution is my lack of human. Don't get preachy on me. Let me explain, and hopefully you'll come to see how it's actually a resolution and not a "woe is me."
More than half of me really did die on that awful day in May. I can't explain it very well, but pieces that made me who I was were taken from this body. Cells in brain did die that cannot be regenerated. I can't describe it, but I have felt like not all of me is here. I can't access the rest of myself, but I know that I'm not all here. The TBI loves taking charge. And unfortunately, because the brain controls literally everything we do, an injured brain will run most of the show. However, I was blessed (or cursed) enough to have a sliver of the Shannon spirit still lodged in there somewhere. Finally, the last piece of me is all of the terribly difficult work that I do every single day to try to function like a normal person. And let me tell you, it is HARD! But every part of your body wants to heal, including your brain.
This finding has honestly been such a relief for me. It explains so many things that are "wrong" with me. It helps me understand why I do some of the stupid things I do. It explains why I don't have energy to do anything a lot of the time. It reminds me that it's not my fault. It explains why people walked - and still walk - away. It tells me that it's okay not to be the daughter of God I used to be - at least on Earth right now. It seems so strange to be relieved to discover that you're not totally human, but it feels so right. 

No comments:

Post a Comment