Thursday, April 25, 2019

Work

I do a whole lot more and a lot less than most people all at the same time. I (thankfully) am no longer in school (at the moment). I am not working at a regular job. I am not married nor do I have any kids. I don't tend my sister's kids or work with my disabled sister much either. So how in the world can I claim to do more than most people!?
Oh let me tell you. To begin with, I am often times gone between the hours of 9-5 shuffling between doctors, therapies, and institute. When debate season is in, I'm also gone every weekend, all days long. But that's just the beginning. I'm recovering from damage to the most vital organ in our bodies. This is not something that will heal in a year or two nor even 5 or 10! This is a lifelong process. My neuropsychologist would be the first to tell you that my brain is constantly working on things we talk about all week long. So while I'm digesting how I behave, the interactions I create, and the effects it has on other people, I'm also trying to carry on tasks of a normal life. These "normal" tasks are not easy for me either. I am regularly managing pain, whether that be the direct result of the trauma, the weeks of lying in a hospital bed, or the lack of activity since. I don't know how to do a lot of physical things (like walk properly) anymore - hence why I'm in Physical Therapy.I struggle with simple things that no one in their 20s should have to deal with; things like not remembering how to do exercises, not knowing what I ate 2 hours ago, losing my train of thought in the middle of a sentence or even worse forgetting what I'm thinking about while I'm in the middle of thinking about it. I wonder who will care about me today, who I can talk to or spend time with. Every day I feel abandoned from a number of people. I have problems with sight, not just distance, but double vision, blurry vision, processing, etc - hence the vision therapy. My thoughts run rampant and extremely negative, especially when it's time to sleep. So I never get any sleep, and as we all know, sleep is so important to functioning properly. Especially with all this negative self-talk my muscles get tense and my spine gets all out of whack. Hence the need for chiropractic therapy and for very specialized massage therapy. Oh and this is not all. I have many other doctors or counselors that I see on a regular basis, vocational rehab, psychiatrist, therapist/counselor, primary care doctor, etc. And my appointments do not end there, I also have housing appointments, and employee appointments with a support coordinator, a behaviorist, etc. We also think that I may need some occupational therapy (again) and I really need to get a neurologist.
But despite all of that, I think the hardest part of my "job" as a recovering brain is the greif. I didn't get to walk away when my friends saw that I was not the person they knew. I didn't get to turn around and give up when life got hard. I didn't get to say "my schedule's too full" or "it's not reasonable to treat you anymore." I don't have the luxury of not knowing who I was before the accident. I don't get to say no to the annoying person that won't leave me alone. I don't get to be the person I feel inside. I don't have the capabilities to show what I have inside of my broken head and bruised body. I didn't ever have the chance to grieve, nor do I think I ever will. I am always trying to do, act and be better. While I am mourning in the back of my mind, I have to fight this battle. I don't have the choice but to live with this TBI. I don't have the power to change my circumstances, all I can do is change myself, but changing myself with a broken brain is harder than you will ever know. I cling to the past because it is the only thing real that I can recall.
So yeah, I work pretty dang hard. Do I do any of the "typical" things that you would think of? No. But I think I have a full time job nonetheless. Bereavement is a job in and of itself when it is someone as traumatizing as yourself.

1 comment:

  1. Incredible self-reflection, Shannon. It's NOT easy...and yet you must fight this battle (with yourself). Please remember you are loved and respected by many more than you know. And just as it is hard for you to deal with, I bet others have a hard time dealing with it too. Maybe they don't know what to say. Maybe they don't have your patience. Who knows? The reality is that you are fighting this battle with grit and determination. We are proud of you, for this (and I realize this may not be much consolation, on the bad days). XO, Jay and Suzan

    ReplyDelete