Tuesday, July 14, 2020

My Ongoing Social Struggles

I haven't posted in a long time especially because I've been avoiding feeling anything for a long time. I distract myself in every way possible so that I can avoid the difficult emotions. With all of the heightened anxiety and lack of normal resources to help cope, I stuff everything that comes up into a tightly sealed bottle.
My life really does depend so much upon other people. It shouldn't. I know it shouldn't. But my life, post-accident, does. Other peoples' honesty, consideration, concern, etc matter a lot. The way other people view me or treat me defines and shapes the person I am. When I've had a peer who I felt truly loved and believed in me, I've thrived. I was growing and becoming the kind of person that I want to be. Why can't I do that for myself? It's what I want. I'm trying my best to love myself, I'm doing my best to focus on the Savior. But the pain is so real, so deep and so overwhelming that I just need someone to hold me. I need someone to care for me. I need sweet, unconditional (tangible) love from someone who chooses to be with me without any sort of obligation or alternative incentive. I don't want to feel this way. I really, really don't. Especially when literally no peer will love me. I have had ONE male peer give me a second glance in TEN years. But he doesn't even think twice about me now.

I feel so hopeless; so pointless. I am far too aware of my surroundings; who I am vs who I was and everyone around me. I know that when I spin out of control no one will come back, but there's nothing I can do about it. I know that I'm too much to handle often times, but I don't know how to stop it. I know I say or do wrong things but I don't know how to read social ques. And for me, social is everything. Social plays into everything else. Connection is what life is all about really. We came to the Earth to make connections with people and grow spiritually. How do those things happen? Through relationships! So how are you supposed to feel when you can't sustain a relationship despite everything else? How are you supposed to feel when people look at you as disabled when you don't feel disabled? How are you supposed to feel when people judge you for things that you do not do when you simply cannot do them? How can you feel worthwhile when everything around you tells you that you are worthless? How are you supposed to have any sort of motivation when you can't feel any joy? What am I supposed to do? I watched a doctor show recently that talked about only doing what makes you happy especially when you're in depression. But nothing makes me happy. Literally NOTHING.


6 comments:

  1. Hey Shannon, I'm glad I got on FB today as I'm not on much anymore. Thank you for sharing your feelings. You have a gift of authenticity and honesty. And you're also a really good writer! (And I know a thing or two about that.) I'm sorry I haven't been better at being there for you. I'll try to do better. You're an amazing soul. I was recently chatting with Bishop Sam and he agrees with me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does sound lonely. And I know that even though there are a lot of us that love you fiercely that having that kind of relationship is still something that fills a gap that none of us can. I love you. I am sorry it hurts so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shannon, we don't know each other, I only came across your blog as I searched for a song on YouTube to send to a friend (Mercy River's "Better Than a Hallelujah"). I have not had a TBI. My older brother did, back in'93, so I know a little of what you've experienced. Here's what I have experienced: deep, clinical depression since I was 10, infertility, thrown from a horse and shattered my left shoulder, infertility again with most recently an ectopic pregnancy and ruptured fallopian tube. Our trials don't compare to each other. But from what I have briefly read of your accident, recovery, and this, your most recent post, you are incredibly strong. But you know what's the best thing to remember? It's okay to not be okay. Just don't get stuck in that thought process. I have incisions that haven't healed yet from my surgery (I'm still not wearing pants thanks to those). We all have scars, some visible, some not. You have come through so much and I applaud your honesty with this post. It sucks when your whole world suddenly comes to a stop - this pandemic has had a terrible impact on you. Just keep trying. If at anytime you need to vent to someone who is not directly related to your life, I'm more than happy to lend an ear. you can reach me over at that yahoo place by the name wiggnbill. Take care of yourself, and remember that the Lord will bless you through these continued hard times.

    Sincerely,
    Megan Jones

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're exactly right that I cannot understand your trials exactly. Christ is the only one who can and I hope you look at some of my other blog posts. As far as the depression, I'd love to know your thoughts on this post: http://shannonblackham.blogspot.com/2013/10/how-to-help-someone-with-depression.html I have a friend who struggled a lot with infertility - we are great friends because we both deal with a lot of the same emotions even though they come from completely different places

      Delete
  4. Hi Shannon-I jumped on your blog to wish you a VERY Happy Birthday. Am I close? Methinks it is right around now. Considering your recent post, it seems like you are in a dark place right now; feeling a lot of emotions that have been bottled up. I want you to know I think about you and know you are a strong woman, worthy of the love and acceptance you seek. I trust that you will receive that love... not just from the Lord, or your folks and family, but from others. Keep the faith, Sweet Shannon, even though it's not easy sometimes.

    ReplyDelete