Tuesday, May 12, 2020

What a Decade

You only get one monumentally phrased anniversary – the decade. About 8 months ago when my rapid transformation started, I was ready to acknowledge this day with both solemnity and enthusiasm. However, as chaos emerged, progress slowed and as the impending arrival of this day got closer, I became more and more apathetic. I’ve pictured this day very, very different many times. While I’m not where I wish I was (emotionally), I believe it would be thoughtless not to offer 10 things I’ve learned throughout this painful journey. Although I could say so much about brain injuries, I’ve picked 10 things that are vital to everyone.
1.        Most importantly, make Jesus Christ the center of your life, whatever that looks like for you.
2.       Family not only makes the best of friends, love you unconditionally, are the most important, but are also the only ones that matter. However, family doesn’t always mean by blood.
3.       Gratitude can physically heal the soul. So, be grateful in everything; find something to be grateful for everyday and record it in a journal.
4.       Laughter is the best medicine. Oh, and Brian Regan is a pretty awesome, genuine guy! 😉
5.       We were sent to the Earth as members of a society for a reason. Connection is something that we all need and we should treat it with great respect.
6.       True happiness is possibly the greatest gift we have, when we can find it. Don’t take it for granted for even a second.
7.       The music that you listen to literally affects how your brain is wired; so, listening to good, uplifting music should be a necessity.
8.       Honesty is key to salvation… and a quality friendship. Always be authentic, unapologetically.
9.       Sleep. Need I say more?
10.   Put first things first; when you can’t move forward, sometimes it’s because you need to heal the past. Grief is a normal emotion that needs to be gone through, even though it can be grueling.
To conclude the first decade of my recovery, I know I have a purpose, but I have no idea what it is. There is simply no other explanation for me having gone through everything that I’ve gone through and being where I’m at today. I felt a strong conviction that I asked God for the chance to return so I could testify of His Son, Jesus Christ; His life, His love, and His power. I know that He lives, He loves us infinitely and incomprehensibly and through that love, He allows us to access His power to move mountains.  

1 comment:

  1. Love this Shannon! So grateful for the choice you made to come back, to stay here. Thank you for the blessing you are in my life! You are strong. You are needed. You are loved ❤️.

    ReplyDelete