Thursday, March 11, 2021

Right Now is Temporary

 When children are young, they feel all their emotions in the present moment – as if it’s how they have always felt. “I HATE YOU!” When they don’t actually hate you, they are just mad. Think about how often their favorite color changes. Yet everything is very, very real in that present moment. They haven’t learned the whole picture yet. They have not begun to understand that there is an entire relationship – one where emotions come and go.

This is how it is with Traumatic Brain Injuries, or at least mine. I am (at least now) aware that I won’t always feel this way in terms of things associated with relationships. However, I cannot rate my pain in any sort of way for this reason. When I have a stomachache, it just hurts. To ask how does it compare to a TBI headache is something I cannot compute. All I know is how I feel right now. I do know that TBI-headache pain is some of the worst pain a human body can endure – far worse than a migraine. But, to ask me to rate something on a scale of 1 to 10 is completely out of the question. 

No comments:

Post a Comment