Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Communicate. Communicate. Communicate.

I am so low on resources this month, especially given the new brain therapies I am doing. So I am calling in all sorts of support to help me spread the word in brain injury awareness. After all, education is the most powerful way you can change the world! 😁 So for this post, I have been speaking with my cousin a lot and she offered to write a post for me. So, thank you to Andrea: 

As a Speech Language Pathologist, I am ALL about communication. One thing I have learned when interacting with Shannon is that communication is key. There are several reasons why… 
Number One: Shannon has had people in her life leave. I have actually seen this happen. Someone whom she bonded with left the picture, and Shannon wasn’t even sure if that person was alive—no communication. Shannon has developed PTSD with regard to abandonment. Because she has felt the devastating effects of people “moving on” she WILL NOT abandon people. She will keep the communication alive. Conversely, when people stop communicating with her she feels the effects of abandonment. Communication is key for her relationships. Even within family relationships (I am her cousin) she has expressed that ties can exist without real bonds unless meaningful communication is present. 
Number Two: Shannon operates in a world of black and white. Social communication (an often grey area that requires recognition of subtle cues) is a challenge. The WAY you communicate with Shannon is key. Since it is difficult for her to attend to subtle social cues, clear and direct conversation is what she wants. In her own words, she would rather have someone tell her “I don’t want to see you right now” rather than make up an excuse.  Sometimes she asks questions in a way that seems negative or combative when she is seeking feedback.  She wants to use that feedback to figure out what she does to offend people so that she can change and grow.  I see first-hand how hard Shannon works to improve. She is currently working through various therapies (sometimes multiple therapies a day) in order to improve herself. When she talks about being a TBI warrior, she is fighting this battle daily. 
Number Three: Related to communication, I have learned not to run away when Shannon is direct and upfront about life. Just like she is naturally direct with people, she wants people to be direct with her. For example, she feels very REAL feelings and will express them. I have found that the best approach is to let her express those very real feelings and not take it personal (sound familiar?). When she asks questions that can potentially sound confrontational, she is In fact working on self improvement. Don't run away. In fact, one of the best pieces of communication is to LISTEN TO HER. Give Shannon grace and time. And keep communicating :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment