Wednesday, March 31, 2021

It Isn't Over Yet....

As we wrap up Brain Injury Awareness Month, I want to emphasize a point I alluded to before: Brain Injuries persist. While it has been my goal to increase awareness specifically during March, I want people to remember that brain injuries do not go away after this month. 
This brings me to my next point. I have found that when people have a traumatic event in their life, people run at your beck and call. For example, when I was in the hospital fighting for my life, I had hosts of people ready to help me by sending good wishes through cards, balloons, gift cards, posters, etc. They also supported my family by bringing food, meals, care baskets, etc. and providing help with Tonya and yard work. I am forever grateful for the love and support I (AND my family) received during that time. But my TBI didn’t go away when I got home…
While people are ready to pull out all the stops during the acute crisis mode, I have found that the support fades in the “life after”. In some ways though, LIVING with the brain injury can be the hardest part of the journey. This doesn’t only happen with brain injury, but loss of any kind—can you imagine living life after losing a member of your close-knit family? 
I want to advocate for those STILL LIVING with an injury. It doesn’t go away. Each healing journey will be different, but we still need love. We still need support. We still need people to reach out and communicate. We still need compassion. We still need grace. 
Please remember us…even during the other 11 months of the year. 


No comments:

Post a Comment