Sunday, March 21, 2021

Validation

 I feel the need to address the reality of the physical consequences of an invisible injury. Everything about the physical body is driven by the brain. So naturally, when the brain gets injured, the rest of the body gets injured, even when you cannot see it. The debilitation is so real that any situation can stir emotional chaos within the entire soul. I absolutely cannot emphasize this enough. The most random things can become a trigger for my PTSD, and for the last 10.8 years I have struggled trying to distinguish between the different parts of myself. (additional information in these posts: Dissociative Brain Trauma , No Longer the Victim, The Riley Transformation, New Year, New UnderstandingLove Yourself, What is a Traumatic Brain Injury, After 5 Years, It's Time for..., Shannon as a Temple)

My dad helped me write this post. But I had to put in a few cents, so I have inserted where I come in. 😊In regards to my dad’s post, we are NOT trying to make life difficult, we are NOT trying to be self-centered, and we are NOT trying to convey a message contrary of appreciation and love.       

              Dad: From my observation, a common challenge with brain injuries is the lack of self-esteem.  This often comes as the individual looks at their current situation vs their life before the brain injury and sees their deficits.  How we respond to their expressions of frustration, inadequacy, anger or discouragement can have a significant impact on how they feel about themselves.  That is where the concept of Validation come in.

              Validation is acknowledging that a person’s opinions, experiences, feelings and expressions are real, and that it is OK for the person to have them.  It is not accepting that they are true or based on fact or that we agree with those expressions.  It is simply allowing an individual to freely express their views without judgement, reprimand or incrimination.  Particularly in our society, we have a tendency to immediately reject and condemn the expressions of others when they differ from our own.  When that happens to us, we feel threatened and belittled—or in a word, invalidated.


              Validation does not come naturally to most of us. When someone expresses to us that they are feeling lonely or depressed, we often respond with something like, “Hang in there, things will get better.,” or perhaps “I know exactly how you feel because I have felt that way before.”  Although well-intentioned, those comments come across as dismissive of their feelings or shift the focus onto us and our feelings.  A more validating response is a sincere, heartfelt expression of, “That must be really difficult for you,” or “I can’t imagine how devasting that must be.”  Those responses offer empathy and understanding, not empty platitudes.  And more importantly, they allow the conversation to continue and be meaningful.

              Shannon insert here In addition to the more appropriate responses my dad mentioned above, it would be extremely helpful to then ask, “is there anything I can do?” But please, only ask if you will actually do something if offered a suggestion. Know that more than anything we just need someone to listen and we likely won’t have anything else you can do.

Another common response is justification. “I was super busy/I don’t have enough time” “Try looking at it from my perspective” “You need to be more sympathetic.” Any of those tells me that I am not enough. It says that whatever you’re using as an excuse is far more important than me. It also tells me that you don’t think that I understand what [busy/pain/stress/school/depression/fatigue/family/guilt/shame/etc] feels like. But validation is key, also in helping people with depression. 

              Dad Again, validation does not equal agreement.  One does not have to accept the premise of another’s feelings to have compassion.  We do have to realize that no matter how we may feel about a given situation, it is real to the other person.  Perception is reality, even if it is not truth.  As we sincerely and honestly validate the feeling and expressions of others, it helps build self-esteem and places us in a position to help that individual address and manage those feelings they are having.  Validation – Try it!!

            Shannon again: As brain injury survivors, we already feel inadequate because we lost all of our dreams, hopes, desires and most of all abilities - functions of our bodies and emotions. Justifying, dismissing, or simply invalidating communicates that you believe we are inadequate as well. Feelings are always valid, even if they are not justified (or true) the feelings are always valid. But even someone who knows that, like myself, still feels absolutely defeated when someone is redirecting the conversation away from my pain to focus on them. I feel like my feelings don't matter because I don't matter. This is an enormous problem. Please, help us all out - not just those with TBIs, but all of your relationships will improve if you practice a little more validation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment