Monday, March 22, 2021

It's All About Semantics


            “I need help…” and I mean what I say. Often people use phrases such as this when they do not actually NEED help. I want people to understand that I do not mince words. When I need help, I mean it. I mean it like I am in a panic attack or almost there!! When someone else says “I need help,” what they usually mean is actually, “hey, I’d appreciate some help,” or “I could use some help.” When I would like help, or could use some help, I say those words verbatim. Educating oneself on this topic can help alleviate misunderstanding. This exact misunderstanding occurred with one of my family members. Until this person was educated that “I need help” actually means I need help, they did not understand the severity of the situation.

1 comment: