Thursday, June 17, 2010

How fast things can change! Udell left from the hospital early this morning so I got up early at home and drove in. I got here about 6:30 am. The docs had already made rounds but were standing in the hall. They asked for my report (which Udell could have done better with because he spent the afternoon with her)which I gave what I knew. She asked if I thought Shannon was up to having the NJ tube changed to an NG tube. I couldn't see why not...course, I still don't understand all their rationale on why the tube goes where it is even though they have told me numerous times. So for those of us that aren't medically adept, for the record, an NJ tube goes in through the nose, through the stomach and into the small intestines. It is placed with the use of xray. The NG tube is placed in through the nose but goes only into the stomach and does not need xray to determine if it is correctly placed. (I guess they can hear by the sounds in the stomach to know if it is where it needs to be.) With an NJ there is less chance of reflux and stomach upset but the hunger pains are still there. NG is considered not as intrusive and going from an NJ to an NG is a big improvement. But that isn't enough for Shannon! Generally when they pull the NJ to an NG, they start with continuous feeds--the feeding tube runs continuously to be sure the patient can tolerate food in the stomach. After a day or so of that, if all goes well, they begin to do feeds only at the same times you would have breakfast, lunch and dinner. After that, if the patient is taking in enough fluids and enough calories, they pull the tube. Well, for Shan the doc skipped the continuous feed completely and decided to only give her feeds in the tubes if she didn't make her fluid or calorie intake. She certainly, even though it has only been 3 days after major surgery,is taking in enough calories and fluids at this point. When the doc saw how many calories she had yesterday, she talked about getting rid of the tube in the next day or so. The IV will go most likely today and then.....within a day or three (not to be too optimistic) hopefully we will lose the feeding tube--the last one! With all she has been through, it is so miraculous to see this progress.
As I sit here, some of Shannon's music is playing. The song is called "When Someone Cares" and the chorus says, "With God, nothing is impossible, if you just reach and take His Hand." I think that as we have all reached out our hands to God in prayer, we are seeing that "with God, NOTHING IS impossible." Pheobe


  1. Wow, Shannon! You are so amazing! We are so happy to read about your progress. Your optimistic attitude, hard work, and determination is inspiring and really paying off. You are constantly in our prayers. We know you are surrounded always by angels--earthly and heavenly--and are sure you have been assisted by those relatives beyond the veil that love and care for you so deeply. You have amazing parents and siblings that we pray for as well. This will forever be an amazing story that will inspire others and profoundly change your life and theirs for the better. We are constantly amazed by how much good God can pull out of devastation and hardship. Truly all can be consecrated for our good. Love, The Hewletts

  2. Hey Shannon! I am so happy to hear about how well you are doing. Most of my comments before have been serious, but it sweems to me that you like to give and take things a little lighter as you are improving so well. I guess they cut your hair off again when you had surgery on Monday and now you have to wait again for it to grow back. You were just a little girl when I had my chemo in 94 so you probably don't even remember how I lost most of my hair. What was left I had shaved off in a buzz cut so that it could all grow back the same length. The first quarter of an inch looked like it was going to be straight, but then as it got a little longer I realized that it was coming in like corkscrews! It was totally crazy and certainly wasn't my Nice N Easy blonde. It also was very coarse and showed some of my gray hairs. Alfred called me "Brillo" for a while because that's just about how my hair looked. I had to scrunch it in curls while it was wet and plaster it with hair spray to keep it in place. It was crazy! I just wish I would have taken more pictures during the metamorphasis back to my "real" hair. It came in curly for a year or so and then it lost the curl and began to come in straight like before. When I lost my hair I felt at first like I had lost my identity, but it ended up being kind of a fun ride as it moved from one stage of growth to another. I'm pretty sure your hair won't grow back in curly, but you're bound to have some fun with crazy, different hairstyles over the next six months or so. Have fun with it and if you want to do something really wild (and scarey!) call me and I will bring over some of my wigs. :) That should knock the socks off some of your friends!! Keep up the good work on building back your strength. We love you!!! Aunt Kath

  3. Shannon-bunny!

    I'm so happy that you are getting to eat real food! Today, we went touring in Kansas City and I got to have some gelato--chocolate, peanut butter and banana. It was sooo tasty. Yet, another thing that I want to bring you when you get all of your eating skills back--and you are on your way. Nikko and I picked out this awesome hat for you a week and a half ago or so. I can't wait to give it to you! And, yes, it was so cute, I got one for me, too. It's all right, I won't wear it at the same time so you can be your own unique, groovy-Shannon self.
    Much love, Cindy